Five reasons to join the fight against recession
Posted on 20/03/2020 by
One of Winston Churchill’s favourite sayings during the war was ‘keep on b*ggering on.’ The alternative is to give up. We all know it’s getting tougher and will be even worse before we’re through this, but having a positive attitude will be key. The wheels of commerce will keep grinding, as they have done in every crisis over the last couple of centuries. With that in mind, here are some great, positive news stories from the mainstream press in the last few days.
- Not going down without a fight. How businesses are adapting and going online to survive.
- Across the pond, famed economist Robert Shiller doesn’t think we’re heading for another Great Depression.
- The Guardian reports how firms are adapting, with Brewdog now making hand sanitiser. The day before, a distillery in Dundee had already announced it was going to produce hand sanitiser.
- Manchester hotel owner Gary Neville (also famous for kicking a ball) shows the right attitude by promising not to lay off staff but instead opens his hotel rooms to house hospital workers (this is something pubs with rooms could perhaps try to do as well?).
- And finally, although the FT is (correctly) predicting a global recession, Gita Gopinath, the IMF Chief Economist, says ‘this should be a transitory shock if there is an aggressive policy response that can stop it morphing into a major financial crisis.
Chris Peace, MD, Peace Recruitment