Principal Flood Risk Engineer
£50,000 to £58,000
Civil & Structural
I am now recruiting for a Chartered Engineer to join my client’s Water Team in Edinburgh. As Principal Flood Risk Engineer, you will have experience in contributing at a senior level within an integrated multi-disciplinary team delivering services in support of my client’s ongoing workload of Flood Risk Assessment, Flood Studies, development of Flood Protection Schemes, Pipe Network Analysis, Surface Water Drainage Design, and Hydrology & Hydrogeology Chapters for Environmental Impact Assessments.
My client’s Edinburgh office is one of their key growth offices, servicing a range of clients including local authorities, SEPA, private developers and overseas clients. They work across the region and nationally, as well as having significant inputs to international projects in the Middle East in particular. The office offers an excellent working environment for staff, located in the heart of Edinburgh.
- Manage projects (or components of projects) meeting budgetary, quality, safety and timeframe targets, while exceeding client expectations and mitigating risk wherever possible; including sound knowledge and understanding of NEC contracts.
- Contribute and achieve function group targets, including utilisation, billing, and profit.
- To take a key role in day-to-day project management providing both leadership and technical guidance and helping to develop the wider team to its full potential.
- Encourage innovative and entrepreneurial thinking.
- To build and consolidate networks within the industry.
- To supervise technical aspects and provide project coordination for the flood management team workload which includes -Flood Risk Assessments (fluvial, coastal, and pluvial) to support planning applications and roads orders for a wide range of - developments (incl. housing, roads, public facilities, etc.Flood Studies (fluvial & coastal) for Local Authorities as the precursors to the development of Flood Protection Schemes.All aspects in regard to the development of Flood Protection Schemes (incl. modelling, EIA, engineering design, stakeholder liaison, licences & consents, etc.)
- Surface Water Drainage Design (incl. SUDS)
To be considered for this role you must be Chartered to CIWEM or ICE with significant design experience in major civil engineering schemes in particular flood management and surface water projects. In addition to suitable project and sector experience, candidates should also be able to demonstrate good written and oral communication skills, the ability to interface effectively with external stakeholders and a focus on delivering best value for current Clients
You must also be able to demonstrate:
- Experience in design and management of flood management projects including experience with leading a multi-disciplinary team, and have up-to-date on current environmental and sustainability issues;
- Leadership and people management skills, able to influence, motivate and delegate effectively
- Well-developed commercial skills, including budgets and plan resources
- Excellent communication and relationship building skills, both internally and externally
- Ability & experience in the management of flood studies and flood protection schemes (incl. fluvial, coastal, and surface water)
- Ability & experience of managing flood risk assessments (incl. fluvial, coastal, and surface water)
The following experience and skills would also be advantageous:
- Ability & experience in 1D & 2D hydraulic modelling (preferably with the Infoworks ICM, HEC RAS, Flood Modeller, & TUFLOW packages)
- Ability & experience in Drainage Design (preferably with Microdrainage)
- Ability & experience in SUDS design
- Ability & experience in undertaking hydrology & hydrogeology environmental impact assessments